[Interest] My first 5 years with Qt and 2 suggestions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri May 10 23:03:22 CEST 2019

On Friday, 10 May 2019 13:49:58 PDT Richard Weickelt wrote:
> On 10.05.2019 21:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Thursday, 9 May 2019 16:58:47 PDT Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >> For my use I rebuilt the Qt packages from https://launchpad.net/~beineri
> >> for stretch; they install into /opt rather than replacing the system
> >> packages, so you don't have the issues with Qt and other
> >> reverse-dependencies. I think the Qt project could supply packages along
> >> these lines, rather than trying to replace the system Qt.
> >
> > Why can't you install the binaries published by the Qt Project in /opt?
>
> You mean https://www.qt.io/offline-installers ?
> You may want to try to install them:
> - in a headless environment in a script
> - to another location than /opt/Qt/xxx
> - with only some components included

Assuming that the first problem (headless) is solved, I don't see what the
problem is with the rest. The installer should be able to install anywhere,
since it performs the necessary hex-editing to modify the installation paths
in the files it needs to.

As for the components, just install all of them. If you don't want something,
erase after installation.