[Interest] QtWayland compositors lagging

Johan Helsing johan.helsing at qt.io
Tue Oct 22 08:53:50 CEST 2019

Hi Markus,

If you are running this nested inside an X session (and comparing nested Weston vs nested QtWayland), you have to be careful to set the right environment variables (info in QtWayland readme), or QtWayland will fall back to using software buffers. Also, if you're running it inside a gnome wayland session, you will probably still get the X backend of the QtWayland compositor because we have blacklisted gnome and fall back to XWayland.

Even better would be to run the compositor with the eglfs backend instead of nesting it, and comparing that against weston's drm backend.

Unless you're doing this already, then there is not supposed to be a noticeable performance gap with QtWayland compositors compared to Weston. So if that's the case, please file a bug for it.

Br,
Johan Helsing