[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Krzysztof Kawa krzysiek.kawa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 23:16:09 CEST 2020

> Are you talking about an API that *your game* will use (e.g. for IAPs)?
> Or just the process of submitting your content to be distributed?

Could be both. Game stores provide stuff like cloud saves,
achievements, chat etc. This often gets compiled into the game.
Or it could be just some manifest or script that describes your
package. The store's packaging tool could be using Qt. Different
stores different APIs. While API itself might not be Qt based some
parts of that store "project" could be and small tidbits of it get
included in your app.

> *You* are fine, so long as publishing doesn't prevent you from
> fulfilling your [L]GPL obligations.
> The store, OTOH... I have no idea. (Lucky for you that's not *your*
> problem.)

Yeah, what if it's the other way around? Store uses open-source and I
buy commercial? Publishers often require or downright add DRM
protection so this forces you to go commercial because there's no
legal way to re-link the app. If the store also happens to use
open-source Qt and you need to use their API you're pretty much out of
luck. Sounds like a minefield.