[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Bernhard Lindner private at bernhard-lindner.de
Thu Apr 2 11:56:13 CEST 2020

Hello Tuukka,

maybe I missed something. Did you answer the following most critical question brought up
by Juergen Bocklage-Ryannel and others? From Juergens E-Mail:

> > I guess the conflicting terms are these:
> >
> > “Prohibited Combination” shall mean any means to (i) use, combine, incorporate, link
> > or integrate Licensed Software with any software created with or incorporating Open
> > Source Qt, (ii) use Licensed Software for creation of any software created with or
> > incorporating Open Source Qt, or (iii) incorporate or integrate Applications into a
> > hardware device or product other than a Device."
> >
> > Especially this combination: “use … Licensed Software with any software created with
> > … Open Source Qt”
> >
> > KDE, doxygen, Wireshark (just to name a few) are using Open Source Qt.
> >
> > Can someone reflect how does it apply to that software? Can a customer use them to
> > create software under the Qt commercial License terms?

What about this?

> I know licensing in general can be a challenging topic,

Non-technical terms like "use", "combine", "integrate" and "incorporate" are a lawyer's
paradise and make me sit up and take notice. If you want to make things less
'challenging', use techncial terms. Otherwise complaints and distrust will never end.

> but I can't help thinking if some people are intentionally trying to twist things
> around.  At least there are quite many who have not been talking about this in a
> friendly tone.

No matter if you are wrong or right... if you are writing in behalf of a company, such
generalized blames are a cardinal error. If you think a certain person uses inadequate
words, criticize directly.

> That said, I hope there are at least some recipients in the mailing list who consider
> this discussion valuable. Unless there is any new actual question, this is my last email
> to the topic.

See above.

--
Best Regards,