[Interest] Fw: Aw: Re: Re: Re: OSX codesign question

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 23:19:02 CEST 2020

On 4/8/2020 9:29 AM, "Alexander Carôt" wrote:
> P.S.: I might have overlooked this info:
> *Software Distribution Reminder*
>
> If you're generating your first Developer ID certificate, the software that
> you sign it with must be notarized by Apple in order to run on macOS 10.14.5
> or later. Learn how to submit your software for notarization
> <https://developer.apple.com/developer-id/>
>
> Phhhewww --- well, this is all pretty annoying - OSX used to be easy and
> straight-forward but well - I will have to live with it and now look what
> they want in terms of "notarization".

Honestly, it seems to me like a cash-grab under cover of "security theatre".
Now that they've locked down the macOS desktop, ostensibly to check for
"malware", it is my understanding that you have to have a paid developer
account ($99/year minimum) just to allow your programs to run on their desktop
operating system without blocking it and nagging the user about it.  Yes, the
users can still Cmd-right-click on an app (or some such key sequence) to
bypass Gatekeeper, but most Apple users are not going to remember (or want to
remember) to do that every time.  And, of course, Apple users will always
blame the developer, not the manufacturer.

It's a fact that iPhone sales have been steadily decreasing every year since
Jobs' death, and Apple's business model was almost entirely centered around
it.  So, Apple is having to come up with new revenue streams (can you say
"Apple Credit Card"?), and this just seems like another to me.

</rant>