[Interest] Qt3D performance, and development resources

Charles Martin martinc at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 14 17:49:39 CEST 2020

I’ve been migrating a C++ Coin/Quarter project to Qt3D. I’m doing this on a newer iMac/Catalina. The graphics performance seems unacceptable. A simple display of 3600 line segments takes about 5 seconds to render and 30k segments takes >30 seconds.

When the rendering is started, Qt puts out this warning message:
qt.qpa.openglcontext: Could not create NSOpenGLContext with shared context, falling back to unshared context.

I’m new to Qt3D, and there is a good chance that I’m doing something wrong.

My questions:

  - Shouldn't I see better performance, and what can I try to improve that? Does the warning message identify the problem?

 - Where can I find more examples, tutorials and introductory information? There are only two C++ examples on the Qt website, and both of these are very simple. The Qt docs are very limited and incomplete.

  - Is there a community of C++ Qt3D developers? Most online material was produced by KADB, is 4 years or older, and focuses on QML. Where are the C++ users?

I’m trying to get some traction with this product, and any guidance is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie