[Interest] Windows installer for Qt programs

Yves Maurischat yves.maurischat at basyskom.com
Tue Apr 21 10:46:02 CEST 2020

I wouldn't recommend the Qt Installer Framework, due to its complexity
and some problematic features. It's targeted at installing Qt, but can
be a PITA for projects with a different apporach:

On Windows it always creates registry entries pointing at the
(automagically generated) uninstaller. You cannot disable this. This is
especially problematic i.e. if you have a collection of independent
packages (maybe the same library in different versions or different
libraies taht all should go into the same directory) and dont want to
ship them all in the same installer, but one package per installer. Qt
IFW doesn't allow installing into a directory that already has an
uninstaller of anothzer package in it. Deleting an uninstaller does not
remove the registry entry, and finding ist manually or using a script is
basically impossible as it creates an unknown UUID key in the registry,
that you cannot get ahold of while installing the package.

Another problem is, that unassisted installations without UI (i.e. on a
remote machine without an X-Server) are not possible, but I guess
that's only a problem on non-Windows systems.

Also Qt IFW has a kinda backwards approach to installation steps: you
actively have to remove steps/UIs you dont want to use, instead of
adding those you actually want to use.

For Qt itself it may be great, for other (differentyl structured)
projects it's often not worth the hassle.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Kind regards,

*Yves Maurischat*
Senior Software Engineer

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 870 589 -144 | Fax: -199
yves.maurischat at basyskom.com | www.basyskom.com

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 9352
Geschaeftsfuehrende Partner: Heike Ziegler, Alexander Sorg