[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Alexander Carôt alexander_carot at gmx.net
Tue Aug 4 15:04:37 CEST 2020

Hi Marten,

>> Looking at https://letsencrypt.org/docs/certificates-for-localhost/ they mention that "modern" browsers let you make insecure connections to
>>127.0.0.1.
>> Tested locally with a secure website connecting to ws://127.0.0.1 and it works fine. Which browsers do or don't support it I'm not sure though,
>>but it could be enough for your use-case?

ws on 127.0.0.1 is not the problem. The problem is *mixed content* with ws on localhost: Almost any up2date CMS or web use case in general requires me to apply SSL (https) and I cannot run an unsecure websocket from a secure site. This sounds like a trivial problem but in practice this leads to my conclusion below.

Best

Alex

--
http://www.carot.de