[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Aug 4 17:08:08 CEST 2020

> 4) It's also a shame how the Internet has become - I still have a mindset of the year 2000 where the web was not really a significant resource of criminal intent. I understand this can lead to misunderstanding ;-)

If you open up port 80 or 443 on a AWS-hosted instance with a public IP, within minutes you'll get scanned by bots looking for unsecured servers. - That's just the script kiddies.
Then you have to worry about those adversarial nation states (or those working on their behalf), who probably don't even care who you are, or what you are doing, but just want to know discover potentially actionable intel.
You can no longer hide as a random entry in 4 billion addresses. It was never smart, but now you have to assume the attacker is at your front door trying to look in within seconds of mashing the "create instance" button.