[Interest] Will a Qt 5.x release support macOS 11?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Dec 9 10:39:07 CET 2020

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 09:19:16AM +0100, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2020 08:07:45 CET Ben Haller via Interest wrote:
> > Hi all.  Just wondering whether there is any plan for any Qt 5.x release to
> > support macOS 11.  At present, Qt 5.15 supports only through macOS 10.15
> > (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/macos.html#supported-versions), as far as I can
> > tell, and my app built on macOS 10.15 apparently does not run properly on
> > macOS 11 (so my users inform me).  Since it looks like it will be a little
> > while before a Qt 6 release is really solid (I just saw on the list that
> > the first LTS release of Qt 6 is expected in September 2021, almost a year
> > from now), it would be really nice if macOS 11 were added to the list of
> > supported releases for 5.15.  Any chance of that?  I have users who are
> > already on macOS 11 now; I’d like to have a better story for them.  Thanks
> > for any info!
> >
> I can't say anything for the company at this point, but at least report any
> issues you encounter in JIRA.
>
> Builds so far seems to work, though the build process does warn about building
> for an unsupported version.

FWIW no issues with my application using QtWebEngine with Qt 5.15.2,
from what I can tell.

People might need to set QT_MAC_WANTS_LAYER=1 though - for me, not doing
that caused the application to hang when opening the (QtWebEngine
default) context menu:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-87014

The respective fix didn't make it to 5.15.2:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/322228

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org