[Interest] Qt6 & "multimedia"

Jarko Vihriala jarko.vihriala at qt.io
Wed Dec 9 14:33:26 CET 2020

Thanks for reaching out. Indeed – multimedia is currently one of our discussion topics.

>I see that "multimedia" has been removed, and also i see here that things were being worked on <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-73677>, but no work lately?

Actually it’s not the whole story. This ticket has been worked on a bit lately and you can see the spiked user stories there reflecting where we are right now.

>My app IS a multimedia app and relies heavily on multimedia for camera input and video playback.

We are not fully ready in the planning but I can share some insight. The way to go forward with Qt6MM is to support the most common use-cases and provide APIs to QML and C++ which are used by customers using Qt. Videoplayback and camera support are definitely on the list of items to be supported at first feature release.

Roadmap-wise we are looking at post 6.1 to be able to release first feature release. As time goes on, we deliver additional features and enrichen the offering.

>"we wanted to release Qt6 asap, so didn't wait until multimedia was done. we will finish mutimedia and then make it part of Qt6"...

No, this is not the case. If we would have done it that way, it would be already ready. Initial porting of multimedia from Qt5 to Qt6 already exists in dev but we don’t support it.

>"multimedia will no longer be part of Qt. we may in the future support some parts of what used to be called multimedia (WUTBCM), but you will be expected to rewrite >anything that depends on WUTBCM"

No, that is not going to be the case either.

Instead, we will provide a Qt6 MM in 2021 which will be API compatible on C++ and QML with the most used use-cases. If you want to make sure your application is covered with the initial offering, don’t hesitate to update relevant user story of the epic. OR you can send me email about it as well.

In the meantime, you can go rogue and get the Qt5 MM from dev and see if that works until we provide the official Qt6 MM but I would take care there as that approach is not officially supported by Qt6.

>anyone know?

Did this answer to your question?

Br,Jarko
(acting PM for multimedia)