[Interest] Rebuilding cmake project (in Qt Creator) fails - build directories write-protected?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:55:49 CET 2020

Am 30.12.20 um 17:34 schrieb Jason H:
> I don't have any specific knowlege, but if it were me, I would check
> Sysinternals diskmon and see where/whow/who is setting the read-only
> flag. (Asuming I checked and the flad is actually set)

Thank you for your quick reply. Before I dig deeper I first wanted to
check whether other people have already encountered this "archive flag /
cannot re-generate source files with cmake" issue as well, or whether
this is just "how cmake is supposed to work" (-> also clear the cmake
"configuration / build files" before a complete rebuild).

And sorry if this is getting off-topic (I am aware that this is possibly
more a cmake related question than Qt), but since cmake is (going to be)
the default build system in Qt 6 (replacing good ol' qmake *sniff* ;)) I
thought it may be worthwile to ask here.

> Also likely - there is a process in that directory that is preventing
> deletion and windows is not reporting it accurately. I've not used
> windows in a while but I remember it being picky about such things.

Yes, I initially was also suspecting some "rogue cmake process" which
was still holding "locks" on certain build files. But checking in the
process monitor ("Task Manager") I did not find any suspicious process
after a build had completed (related to cmake) - at least not my name
(no running / sleeping process had "cmake" in its name).

I can live with the fact that I also need to clear the cmake project
files, as "rebuilding from scratch" is not something that I do regularly
(more so in order to check whether the project "still builds from
scratch"), so I am not inclined to dig any deeper for now. Unless
someone stumbled over the same issue...

And yes, I intend to "outsource" the Windows specific code into a plugin
which is optionally build (= only on Windows, obviously), so I can
switch my "main development" back to Mac / Linux ;)

Many thanks & Happy New Year!

  Oliver