[Interest] Signal/Slot connection fails, even though QMetaObject::activate is called

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Sat Feb 15 06:40:57 CET 2020

On 2/14/2020 11:19 PM, Tony Rietwyk wrote (in part):
> I thought the whole point of the [=] in the lambda is to capture a shallow copy of the state required by the code within the lambda.

May I ask why you think that, or what you mean?  I can't find any reference to [=] capturing anything about a "state," though  I'm not really sure what you mean by "state."
What it _can_ capture (and to some extent how) depends on the "reaching scope" but that seems different to what you're saying. I'm re-reading the rather extensive docs
at cppreference.com... so it's quite possible I'm just missing what you mean.  Other sources I've looked at don't seem to go into as much detail.

> In the shorter overload, I would assume that the context is simply the current thread object.

What do you mean by "current thread object?"  An implicit `this`?

>   Both overloads have the following warning:

No they don't... Looking at doc.qt.io for 5.14 anyway. Only the one with `context` has the part about the context being destroyed (emphasis mine):

"The connection will automatically disconnect if the sender **or the context** is destroyed."

To me this says that you specifically want the connection to be destroyed when the `context` object goes away, in case the sender and receiver/context
objects aren't the same for some reason. For example I connect a UI element which may somehow have a different lifetime than the `this` object.
If the lambda code only affects stuff in the sender object (or stuff unrelated to any object), then it probably doesn't matter.

Seems clear that for objects in different threads the sender and receiver/context wouldn't be the same, hence the connection type parameter in that overload.
But they could also be different regardless of threading, and the connection should be removed when either objects is destroyed.

Of course maybe I have it all wrong... but "seems to work for me" :)

Cheers,
-Max