[Interest] Editor history (was: Re: Signal/Slot connection fails, ...)

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Mon Feb 17 10:13:19 CET 2020

One of the only two(*) things I miss about using Eclipse is that it
automatically kept a history of file changes every time you saved (up to
some configurable time period). And a built-in diff viewer where it was
easy to compare revisions, revert all or parts, etc. Would be great to
have that option in QtCreator.

I know we can manually commit from QtC, but it's not as simple or
foolproof (even an automated commit message like "version from 1/1/2000
13:05:15" would be helpful). And if the project is already under a VCS
like git which will be published publicly, I don't want all my interim
saves clogging it up. (Make a branch, yeah... then remember to not push
it, and to switch branches before any "real" commits..., and clean it
out regularly so the index doesn't get out of hand. I already try to do
that to some extent ("WIP" branch) but it's not ideal.) Would love to
know about a better way.

-Max

* The other is being able to mouseover a macro and see it expanded into
formatted code, including parameter substitution if the macro uses
arguments. IIRC it was even recursive, meaning any other macros in the
base macro would also get expanded. Didn't work 100% of the time, but
still a useful feature.