[Interest] QtWebkit error while building Qt5.12.7 sources

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 19 18:04:32 CET 2020

19.02.2020, 10:53, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 16:29:13 PST Sze Howe Koh wrote:
>>  On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 08:05, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
>
> wrote:
>>  > There's no good solution for using qtwebkit. You have to stop using it.
>>
>>  I was under the impression that Konstantin Tokarev was keeping the Qt
>>  WebKit sources up-to-date with upstream WebKit, even though it's not
>>  part of the official Qt releases?
>
> Such impression existed and Konstantin did update the release. There are
> certainly some commits in the repository. But looking at the activity for the
> past year, almost everything seems to be related to keeping the buildsystem
> working. I can't find any commit referring to a fixing a security issue.

That's correct, most of the work in last year is targeted to a new branch with updated
WebKit. However, 5.212 serves its job well, it's compatible with current Qt and is at
least is strictly better than 5.9 in terms of bugs, features and security. Of course, it
should be used with caution on untrusted content, because of possible security issues.

> In the end, the 5.212 branch base itself is too old. qtwebkit would need a new
> base branch off webkit to be a reasonable target and that has not happened.
>
> Please, let it die.
>
> --
>   Software Architect - Intel System Software Products

Regards,
Konstantin