[Interest] QtWebkit error while building Qt5.12.7 sources

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Feb 19 21:14:01 CET 2020

On 2/19/20 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> In the end, the 5.212 branch base itself is too old. qtwebkit would need a new
> base branch off webkit to be a reasonable target and that has not happened.
>
> Please, let it die.

This is where we get into the LTS issues again.

Companies that actually make things need 10-15 years of stability, not
"whatever was released five minutes ago."

Yeah, I've heard all of the arguments about security, updates, not being
developed, blah blah blah. The reality is there is a number of
touchscreen embedded systems running on closed networks (either
physically airgapped from the Internet or communicating over a hardened
VPN) which use WebKit to play help and training videos from a company
server. Some of these are/will be medical devices like infusion pumps,
where the end user can securely lay a video if they get confused about
how to connect the pump to themselves or a loved one, or have difficulty
Just know such things exist and pray you never have to use one.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com