[Interest] RfQ for porting a library currently based on 4.8.6, to the latest QT release

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Jan 15 20:45:47 CET 2020

On 1/15/20 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> Hello guys, I have an application frozen to qt 4.6.8 (the last implementing
> the qt3 compliance sw layer). I'd like to evaluate the time and cost to
> migrate onto the latest qt5 (on either next if available) qt library.
> Is any of you interested to give a look at the activity and share with me
> time and cost?

Could you be a bit more specific about the scope of your rfq?

What platform?

Is this just a "get it to compile then pull the pin on the grenade and
hand it back saying 'here, hold this'?"

Is this a full rewrite of the application including all regression
testing? There have been many new Qt classes since 4.x and some of your
custom code may no longer be necessary.

Such information will help both sides. If you are expecting a complete
turnkey, "just compile and sell it" solution you may have to weed
through many 'here, hold this' quotes.

A full turnkey will require a lot of time up front reading product
documentation to determine the original intent of the application before
beginning any visible work. It will also probably require a
re-architecting of the existing solution. One thing which leaps to mind
is my recent rewrite of XpnsQt which was originally written with a very
early version of Qt 4.x. At least with respect to accessing PostgreSQL
databases (and possibly all others) you had to make an initial
connection in the main.cpp file to keep it alive for the full
application. This forced a bit of a kludge into the architecture. The
bug has long since been fixed. When I rewrote the application its flow
had to change and some screens went away.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com