[Interest] tinkering with QtWebKit "rebooted"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:25:54 CEST 2020

Hi,

Periodically I get curious what I'm missing out on not being able to run a recent proper WebKit(2)-based browser (i.e. Safari) and start wondering how suitable such a browser would be as a usable alternative to the Firefox or Chromium-based behemoths - and how much less resource hungry it would really be.

I found a fork of the Arora browser that had been kept up to date just before it disappeared from github. It feels faster than my other QtWebkit-based browsers, and has a nice sleek interface, but it appears to run the rendering engine in the main thread. It doesn't spawn the independent WebKit process like e.g. Otter Browser does, but I haven't found much information (or been able to glean from Otter's code) on how to make it do that.

Pointers for this would be appreciated - I'm planning to put up a fork of my own if the original doesn't come back, in case anyone anyone feels like tinkering along on this! :)

Thanks,
R.