[Interest] Roland Qml

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Jul 14 13:35:28 CEST 2020

On 7/14/20 5:00 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> When QML was first pitched back in the Nokia days, it was supposed to be
>> a script that ran through a pre-compiler generating the C++ widget code.
> No, it wasn't.

Yes it was. I got that exact pitch. It was supposed to replace the
problem prone XML based UI files and buggy designer of the day. At that
time the designer was notorious for corrupting UI files forcing one to
open them with a different editor to fix. Having a plain text "language"
that was easy to code and would pre-compile to widget code was a great
selling point.

That's what the Nokia developers were talking about in the Chicago area.
They were going to get rid of XML, giving us something that looks much
like QML, having no logic capabilities, just screen layout, that would
be 100% compiled.

What we got was an interpreted language massive security risk.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com