[Interest] good-compromise compatibility setting for -march=??? option (x86)?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 18 19:20:44 CEST 2020

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 05:44:04 PDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Is there a good single-term setting for -march= that I can use that still
> enables the most useful SIMD instruction supported by at least my old i7
> and the N3150 (and VirtualBox!), rather than entering a hand-tuned list of
> individual extensions? I usually build with clang but could consider gcc in
> this case :)

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/87258/intel-celeron-processor-n3150-2m-cache-up-to-2-08-ghz.html?wapkw=N3150

That's a Braswell-based Atom:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cores/braswell

So -march=silvermont.

Anyway, -march=native is supposed to work on any machine that runs the code it
compiled. If that fails, please submit a bug report to GCC. After testing GCC
11, that is.  H.J. has just revamped the -march=native detection to fix issues
like that.