[Interest] good-compromise compatibility setting for -march=??? option (x86)?

Rainer Wiesenfarth rainer_wiesenfarth at trimble.com
Tue Jul 21 06:50:45 CEST 2020

Sorry for jumping into your discussion, but I think you are talking about
different topics.

René would like to know how to set "march" when he *compiles code on* the
Celeron (N3150) that should *run on* the (probably first generation) Core
i7 mobile.

Thiago says that "march=native" produces code that is guaranteed to run on
the *same architecture.*

My guess would be that René has to set "march" to what the i7 supports,
using sde64 searching for Nehalem or - eventually - Sandy Bridge. As I am
on AMD and Windows, it might be Thiago's part to provide the sde64
information... :-)

Cheers, Rainer

--
Software Engineer | Trimble Imaging Division
Rotebühlstraße 81 | 70178 Stuttgart | Germany

Trimble Germany GmbH, Am Prime Parc 11, 65479 Raunheim
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Darmstadt unter HRB 83893,
Geschäftsführer: Rob Reeder, Jürgen Kesper