[Interest] qt 5.15.0 msvc 2019

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Fri Jul 31 01:18:39 CEST 2020

Phillipe,

On 31/7/20 5:47 am, maitai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a bit confused with qt 5.15.0 on Windows.
>
> The downloader proposes either MSVC2015 or MSVC2019, why not MSVC2017,
> mystery.
>
> I chose 2019, and installed relevant MSVC/Visual basic suites.
>
> All good, build ok, etc. Installer installs MSVC 2019 if missing, etc.
>
> Then users start to complain about crashes (only on Windows 7), I said
> OK, let's go back to msvc2017/qt 5.14.2 for them.
>
> And then finally digging more into it, I can see that using this
> version without changing a line in our code is much slower than qt
> 5.14.2 (= 10 times slower in some specific cases)
>
> Then I looked at options->qtVersions etc and qt 5.15.0(msvc 2019)
> wants msvc 2017 in fact (msvc version 15, if I try 16 this is not
> accepted).
>
> What is the deal here?

MSVC2017 and 2019 are binary compatible. Hence there are no more 2017
builds as there is no need. We are actually using Qt 5.12 with 2019 here.

You can still use 2017, though maybe not from Qt Creator. We use Visual
Studio rather than Creator. You might try that to work out if your
issues are due to the compiler upgrade or to the Qt upgrade.

Hamish