[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Frederik Schwarzer bugfinger at posteo.de
Thu Jun 11 18:06:30 CEST 2020

Am 11.06.2020 17:32 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:

Hi,

> I think a lot of developers/companies will have pain because of this,
> if they have
>
> 1) some large customers staying on Windows 7 until really EOL for them

Not really an opinion about this but this changelog entry from a release
two weeks ago came to mind.
     "Updated the included Qt library to version 4.8.7." ;) ... And that
company has a big market share.

In the industry lots of companies lag behind ... a ... bit. But I would
suspect those who lag behind with their Windows version to also do not
mind lagging behind with their Qt versions.
And since Qt 5.15 will be supported for quite some time ... But as I
said, I am not in favor of or against one or another.

Do you have a customer who actually runs on Windows 7 and is otherwise
eager to jump on Qt6 in its early releases? I mean, maintaining old
Windows versions will double in price every year now, so there's some
pressure at least.

Cheers
Frederik