[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Thu Jun 11 20:02:53 CEST 2020

Nothing force you to upgrade to Qt6, you can still make evolve that application into Qt 5.15 as long as your user still use Windows 7.  Windows 7 is old, the days of keeping old OS around have been over for 10 years IMO. Everything is moving to evergreen (OS, Web browser, application...). Otherwise those only make security and support a nightmare. Windows 10 was free upgrade for a while for a good reason. I don't see why Qt should support that platform any longer since Microsoft doesn't even support it anymore. Yes software deprecated way faster then hardware now a day it's the way things are. Keeping an OS for 10-15 years won't happen again, no more XP going to last that long anymore.

If you want to stick with old OS stick with old version, nothing bad doing this, but don't expect new bleeding edge stuff on it. What was running should still be running on it. You cannot have both way, those are just painful.

Make a good preview version with Qt 6 and try to lure them to upgrade to Windows 10 along with it (or Windows 11 by the time Qt 6 and you get your application ready "Microsoft will release Windows 11 on July 29, 2020, and will be available to the general public." ). But keep your main devel focus on the maximal version that cover your user basis.