[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Oliver Wolff oliver.wolff at qt.io
Fri Jun 12 11:01:29 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 12.06.2020 02:17, Scott Bloom wrote:
> One thing that I probably missed in this thread, though I have been reading it with quite a lot of interest.
>
> Why is Win7 being dropped?  I (my company) has gotten burned pretty hard by the dropping of CentOS 6, similar reasons listed for win7..
>
> Is win 7 being dropped because the Visual Studio versions being supported, can no longer target Win7?

 From the R&D perspective the main reason for dropping Windows 7 is
"resources". We just do not have the manpower/processing power to
support every configuration out there. Some examples for the decreased
maintenance effort are shown in initial mail, the mail that was sent
back in March last year and inside the bug report.

That having been said this discussion wasn't done by R&D alone. Other
departments like product management were involved and according to the
available customer data dropping support for Windows 7 should be "ok".
Of course dropping support for an OS is never ideal but weighing up pros
and cons we came to the conclusion that Qt6 is the right time to do this
cut.

Of course not everyone will agree on this conclusion, but that's the way
the decision was made.

BR, Olli