[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sat Jun 13 18:08:16 CEST 2020

On 6/13/20 5:00 AM, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> Here is a challenge for you Thiago: on Monday contact the manufacturing
> side of your company and ask them for a clean room tour in one of
> Intel's many fabs - once there take a very close look at the control
> screens of the machines in there, note the systems they are running.

Unless something changed dramatically in the past few years, you will
find much of the process controlled by a DEC Alpha machine running
OpenVMS. Story going around the industry, and I don't know if it is
true, is that even Intel didn't upgrade to Itanium. When I wrote this book

https://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/app_book.html

many copies were sold to people at Intel because an OS nobody in here
cares about running on a chip that hasn't been made in roughly a decade
or more is what controls the quality and production of all the chips
Intel makes that Qt developers actually care about.

Now, if the real goal is to "only support the cool kids and their
phones," that's fine. Man up and say that. Say it early so those paying
for support and possibly paying royalties can stop paying those things
and begin their transition to a different tool set. QML developers will
just be screwed, but C++/Widget users can see if CopperSpice supports
their platform

https://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/app_book.html

and attempt a transition to it. Someone put a lot of effort into putting
together this list of other options.

https://philippegroarke.com/posts/2018/c++_ui_solutions/

They did leave Zinc off it. I can understand though. The screenshots
posted at the OpenZinc page have a very 1990s look to them.

http://openzinc.com/Screenshots.html

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions