[Interest] GTk QPA?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:26:30 CEST 2020

Giuseppe D'Angelo via Interest wrote:

> What issues are we talking about?

General slowness, remote GLX/EGL quirks depending on the remove X11 server. And
a few issues when running on Mac with the XCB QPA. AFAIK that is not officially
NOT supported (and it's relatively trivial to get to build) so I'll mentioned
them here too:
- loss of copy-to-clipboard functionality over time (that one actually happens
locally; I've never had a remote session lasting sufficiently long to observe it
there)
- a strange, probably not really random lock-up situation where libxcb thinks
it's still waiting for a reply. I've begun to look into that with a libxcb dev
but it usually takes a long time for it to trigger when you're waiting for it.

The slowness and remote GLX/EGl quirks are probably largely due to Qt design
principles which (AFAICT) prioritise the local user experience and are (thus)
more suited for remote rendering of VNC than over an asynchronous X11 channel.
If the VNC QPA where a little bit more feature complete (2-finger scroll doesn't
work, for instance) and allowed for moving, resizing, stacking etc. dialogs and
multiple (sub)windows it would make a very nice alternative to the XCB QPA, for
remote displaying purposes.

R.