[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Jun 15 21:34:39 CEST 2020

On 6/15/20 1:47 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 15/06/2020 14.26, Jérôme Godbout wrote:
>> If your developer have hard time learning Qt3 to Qt5, I feel sorry
>> for you
>
> You have that backwards.
>
>>> Kids who only learn the new stuff can't be hired to support the
>>> old because they cannot even begin to function.
>>
>> I suggest you hired from different schools.
>
> While that may be a valid suggestion, it's well "known" that you can
> teach C programmers Java, but you can't teach Java programmers C. Most
> "skript kiddies" lack the technical foundations to understand "real"
> programming.
>
> Unfortunately, not so many schools turn out programmers with the
> required backgrounds.
>
> This is the equivalent of turning out "mathematicians" that can punch
> buttons on a calculator but don't know how to actually do math if you
> take away their gadgets.

Yeah.

What Matthew said.

It's like trying to teach someone who never took the training wheels off
their bike how to ride a bike that can't ever have training wheels or go
slow.

I hope to God I'm never connected to a Medical device that used QML. A
better question would be "How did you even get that through the FDA
approval process?"

A stable API is what is required for long term production. It will be
interesting to see what your opinion is 10 years from now when the QML
code you wrote last week will no longer run on the "current" QML VM.

Just how many times has someone re-arranged the header files in Qt just
to make it more aesthetically pleasing? A lot. That minor little "tweak"
busts builds wholesale.

As far as the "not a 3 OS world anymore" you are correct. It's a Yocto
Linux build or a Windows build. That's the embedded medical device and
industrial controller world. Under the "Windows" heading is WinCE,
Windows Mobile, whatever that Windows 7 embedded thing is/was that many
companies bought the source to, and the original flavor of Windows, DOS.

Hopefully, very soon now, the KDE community will announce what the
post-Qt development tool set will be and the embedded world can not only
move on, but get some stability back. From everything I've heard, we are
all waiting for KDE to make the decision. Hopefully they will mandate
the require API stability and header files not becoming Easter Egg hunts.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com