[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Jun 18 23:16:09 CEST 2020

On 6/18/20 3:48 PM, Christoph Feck wrote:
>> We are all just waiting on KDE to pull the trigger and tell us what
>> library(ies) will be used in the post-Qt world. The current licensing
>> and royalty situation make Qt unusable going forward.
> There is no post-Qt world from the KDE point of view. It is impossible
> to port hundreds of applications to a different toolkit, and this is the
> reason we secured the availability of Qt in source code form under a
> free software license via written agreements.

It's not impossible, just look at all of the abandonware in KDE history now.

A lot of work, possibly. Depends on the chosen library. CopperSpice
would shorten that effort. Something completely different would extend it.

Given the new licensing, dropping of Win7, announced year or so delay of
OpenSource releasing, now is the perfect time. Begin the ports prior to
the end of Qt 5 and before anything migrates to Qt 6.

As with KDE in the past, some packages will get ported and some will get
abandoned.

Keep in mind KDE abandoned other things to choose Qt when Trolltech was
around.

This is not without precedent. There will be a migration from Qt. Far
too many people and customers are fed up.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com