[Interest] Qt 5.x configure line prefix

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jun 29 13:51:10 CEST 2020

At Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:46:16 +0530 Ramakanth Kesireddy <rama.kesi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone let me know if it is recommended to use -prefix /usr or the
> default in the configure line where it gets installed in /usr/local/Qt5.x?

Unless you are building an O/S packaging system package (eg .deb or .rpm), you
should *not* install locally build software with the /usr prefix.

> As the font algorithm using font config checks the available fonts in
> /usr/lib/fonts, does it makes sense to configure Qt 5.x with prefix /usr?

No.  To use your locally built Qt 5.x, you will need to make sure
/usr/local/<whatever> is known to your build environment (path, compiler,
linker, etc.).  (Generally, this should normally be set up by default, but it
can't hurt to check.)

> Thanks and Regards,
> Ramakanth

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364