[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:32:37 CET 2020

Den fre 27 mars 2020 kl 20:08 skrev <mail at herrdiel.de>:

> Hi.
>
> Tuuka clearly stated, that you wouldn't violate GPL of the (OS-)
> QtCreator, **but** you'd violate your commercial contract with Qt.
>
> If the commercial contract says, you are not allowed to have a cat in
> the house and you've signed that contract - then youd better get rid of
> Garfield.
>
> It doesn't matter if pets are allowed inside the building if they are
> clean. It doesn't matter if the bunch of people who that contract was
> signed for is sitting in a different room.
>
> This contract - as I reed Tuukas words - doesn't allow mixed use of
> commercial & OS inside a *company*. That's it.

It's even more confusing, because Tuuka did not say "company" - he say
"project". And what defines a project? You'll get various answers
depending on who you ask. Ask a big multi-national and a "project" may
be something spanning several decades, with many teams across the
world, from difference divisions of the company (or subsidiaries,
contractors or consultants), and the "project" may consist of many
software components, operating systems and infrastructure. Ask a
random person about their pet project on GitHub and they'll say the
project is "whatever is in this repo". And then there's of course a
wide spectrum in between.

Which definition is the Qt commercial license using?

> P.S.: My personal view on that: stupid contract in the first place.

Indeed, increbily so.

Elvis