[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 102, Issue 31

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Mar 31 18:10:42 CEST 2020

On 3/31/20 12:49 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> I guess the conflicting terms are these:
>
> “Prohibited Combination” shall mean any means to (i) use, combine, incorporate, link or integrate Licensed Software with any software created with or incorporating Open Source Qt, (ii) use Licensed Software for creation of any software created with or incorporating Open Source Qt, or (iii) incorporate or integrate Applications into a hardware device or product other than a Device."
>
> Especially this combination: “use … Licensed Software with any software created with … Open Source Qt”
>
> KDE, doxygen, Wireshark (just to name a few) are using Open Source Qt.
>
> Can someone reflect how does it apply to that software? Can a customer use them to create software under the Qt commercial License terms?

I am not a lawyer and any opinion towards Licensing is my personal very
subjective opinion.

Questions I've had as well. It seems the only solution is to never buy a
commercial license, especially if you run KDE Neon as your primary
development desktop.

Just how does one know if library-xyz, written in pure C++ used
QtCreator OpenSource as the project IDE?

Is anyone working for Linus himself using QtCreator OpenSource as their
favorite IDE? If so, by that definition you cannot use commercial Qt on
Linux, any flavor.

I don't know if I trust this site, but . . .

https://awesomeopensource.com/projects/qt5

It claims to list 167 Open Source projects using Qt5. Some of them could
easily be part of one's development toolbox. I'm thinking of

Sqlitestudio

Slate

Notes

Screencloud - for taking screenshots under Windows, Mac, and Linux

Embedded Ide - bare-metal ARM systems

Slacken - lightweight Qt client for Slack

A better list here

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=List_of_Qt_Applications

FileZilla

Notepadqq

OnlyOffice

FBReader - for reading your reference ebooks

imagewriter

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions