[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 110, Issue 22

Rob Allan rob_allan at trimble.com
Sun Nov 29 20:40:59 CET 2020

Thanks for trying this out Raph - we would certainly be interested in
having a convenient way to name the output library.

In answer to Assam's question - we build a large number of Android
libraries as part of our application. Most are built using Visual Studio
(for historical reasons), and we segregate them by architecture into
different directories. So we have an existing naming convention that does
not include the architecture name, which means the couple of libraries we
actually build with qmake are named in a way that is inconsistent with all
our other libraries. In fact we only build for ARM32 at present, so
architecture qualifiers are not that important to us.

I can see the benefits of the new Qt library naming scheme, and over time I
expect we might go that way and make all our other libraries consistent
with it. But in short, it didn't seem unreasonable to me that I ought to be
able to choose whatever name I want for the library I'm building, and I was
a bit surprised to find that there was no way to control this behavior.

Rob Allan