[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 114, Issue 38

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Thu Apr 1 16:50:31 CEST 2021

> I would expect Qt to query the version of X being used, say
> multi-touch isn’t supported so the app cant support it. If my customer
> complained that multi-touch works on the Windows, and CentOS 7 boxes, but not CentOS 6.
> The reasoning is clear, the default X for CentOS 6 doesn’t support it.
> I could then point them to the newer X and say have your IT dept move
> your CentOS to the X.Y.Z version of X (which they wont be able to do)
> and it will work.

Well, that's your answer there: the feature you want isn't supported on the OS you have. So why is Qt any different?

I'm painting a scenario to understand how you'd have to handle such a situation, when there isn't a company you can call upon to fix the problem for you.

We keep discussing the ability to upgrade Qt but not upgrade the rest of the OS. I understand that Qt is a central component of the UI, but it's no less critical than a lot of other components that you may need to upgrade in order to deal with circumstances changing.

--
That doesn’t mean that Qt cant support it, its that Qt needs to be able to compile without it.  And if you cant, rev the major version

Scott