[Interest] the path forward (or is it "how the things look"?)

Rui Oliveira ruilvo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:27:50 CEST 2021

I'm going to vent my perspective as a non-professional programmer who
just wants to do GUI on a cross platform hobby project and is relatively
new to Qt.

So, to start. ReactJS/Electron. Yes, everybody is doing it because I
guess the ratio of frontend devs to C++ programmers is 100:1.

Now, do they replace C++? No. For example, in my application, I kinda
need some number crunching (FFT) in the backend, so I'm not going to do JS.

Honestly, if it wasn't for that, I'd probably be using C# and one of the
newer cool libraries: Avalonia.UI, Platform.Uno, and the upcoming .NET
MAUI. Man, it's incredible how the x-platform C# space has been growing
compared to C++!!! And like, Avalonia.UI is based on SKIA, which is a
C++ library!! But it's being used on C# instead... Makes you think. Why
is the C++ GUI ecosystem like it is? DearImgui is probably the newest
thing which is worth a damn, but I don't particularly enjoy how it looks.

I want to develop a desktop application. And I feel very frustrated:
Widgets seem to be in life support, QML for the desktop is honestly
severely underdeveloped. It reaches the hilarious point that QtQC1 had
native styling but QtQC2 didn't until now!?! (and still they are...
meh). Not to mention the native stuff in the Labs platform is just
half-done (no native right click menu on Windows...). I don't want to
start a project on a half-dead (be honest) platform, but I don't want to
start a project on a half-baked technology either. And I bet most of you
will have examples to why I'm wrong, but I'm saying things from what I
can see.

Then, on the licensing shenanigans: I find it funny that for example "Qt
Quick MultiEffect" is a GPL/commercial only tech. I feel this should
have just been a QML engine fix? But that would be LGPL, and I guess
that's not interesting anymore...

I've seen a couple times here and there people asking for help with
stuff like Qt Gamepad, and I tell them to forget about it and just use
SDL instead. Another tech that's not deprecated, but not going anywhere
either.

Then, there's the aspect of mobile, which I honestly don't care, but I
really feel that the mentioned C# libraries, JS, and Flutter will be far
more popular than C++/QML will ever be. And following the Qt JIRA,
sometimes I wonder how I would develop for Android with it. It really
feel a bit... Messy...

Anyhow, about the licensing model. The Qt Co. must make money, we get
it. And the "make it free-as-in-beer and then sell support isn't for
everybody", I get it. But let me just bring something to the table: have
you looked at how game engines are licensing recently? Putting fees over
sales instead of developer seats. That solves the problem of "buying
just before launch" and makes the general community happy. Even
commercial software companies know that getting college students
"addicted" to a certain tech is a good way to make them ask their
employer to use it. Honestly, I think the whole "pay to develop" model
is so dead now... Pay for support, and pay a cut on sales over X amount
seems to be working very well for the game engine market. And honestly,
as a hobbyist, I think that a model in the lines of "free for hobbyist
and free for the first X dolars in revenue (cough Unity cough)" keeps
both the community happy and gives a fair benefit/obligation balance to
commercial customers. Maybe that would work with Qt, maybe not. I'm just
saying.

Sorry for the ramble, and I'll probably remember more things to say, an
maybe I didn't express myself with the best polish, but that's my 2 cents.

Anyhow, thanks for the project, and I really mean it. The Qt APIs are
top notch, the docs the same (even though the QML-related docs is
clearly subpar compared with the legacy C++ stuff).

Rui