[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was, , , willy-nilly

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Apr 12 12:56:06 CEST 2021

On 4/2/21 5:00 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I would expect Qt to query the version of X being used, say
>> multi-touch isn’t supported so the app cant support it. If my customer
>> complained that multi-touch works on the Windows, and CentOS 7 boxes, but not CentOS 6.
>> The reasoning is clear, the default X for CentOS 6 doesn’t support it.
>> I could then point them to the newer X and say have your IT dept move
>> your CentOS to the X.Y.Z version of X (which they wont be able to do)
>> and it will work.
>
> Well, that's your answer there: the feature you want isn't supported on the OS you have. So why is Qt any different?

Your argument is flawed.

The end customer replaced a run of the mill 1920 x whatever monitor with
a $300 4K monitor. The video card, OS, and video driver fully supported
resolution well above 1920 x whatever. The Qt HiDPI support was broken
in the release Scott has. Between broken and less broken Scott's
platform was dropped.

When Scott's company, paying QtC commercial customer, reached out for
support they were basically told "sucks to be you!" Admittedly they told
them what they had to upgrade which is the same thing as no support for
Scott's customer base.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions