[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Apr 21 00:04:27 CEST 2021

On 4/20/2021 4:35 PM, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> On 4/20/21 10:18 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> It's well known that you*have*  to highlight the whole file, at least
>> to the current position, for accurate ("perfect") highlighting.
> If I understand correctly, you have to*analyze*  the whole file, but not
> necessarily*highlight*  it. (Though, once you've completed the analysis,
> highlighting it is a relatively trivial step, and skipping it for
> non-visible parts of the file may not yield a whole lot of savings.)

Mostly correct Kyle.

With the structure/design of QPlainTextEdit you have to *analyze* in the
single-thread-i-ness main event loop. So, when someone opens and editor
with 4-7 large source files opened in tabs, the one you really need, the
last one, is jammed up in the single-thread-i-ness main event loop
behind the other tabs you cannot see because they were in first load order.

QPlainTextEdit forces you to *highlight* during *analyze* using regular
expressions . . . assuming you use it as designed.

As Matthew has pointed out, KATE doesn't do this. Last I looked at the
code it creates worker threads for everything.

One note though. KATE (or katepart as Mathew prefers) has to be using
more than just regular expressions because it actually highlighted the
initializer list correctly.

Thanks for participating in the conversation.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

https://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com