[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Apr 21 13:50:24 CEST 2021

On 4/21/2021 6:36 AM, Vlad Stelmahovsky wrote:
> Using Electron has nothing to do with licensing issues. The issue is
> common programming knowledge level is going down when programmers
> paradise promised for newcomers: learn HTML programming language
> (sic!) and you are rich
> btw, is Electron licensed for use in medical devices?

The professional sound equipment company moved from Qt to Electron
because of licensing. They already had all of the C++ Qt developers.
They had to learn how to use Electron.

The "Explore this computer" app for Intel made the same move for the
same reason. A good number of KIOSK applications made the same move for
the same reason.

As to the licensing, if you can sufficiently distance the UI from the
code which must be deterministic, you can get away with a lot. There is
just a __lot__ of paperwork for RISK justification. I got a call from a
researcher/doctor touting the Johns Hopkins credentials wanting me to
work on a post-op patient monitor they were going to hook directly to a
Windows 10 desktop sans an intervening control unit. No, I did not take
the gig.