[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Nuno Santos nuno.santos at imaginando.pt
Wed Apr 21 18:31:33 CEST 2021

For me, the major benefit of Qml is speed. Before using Qml I’ve done a couple of years doing Qt Widgets. The glue code to make things work is a big pain. You can declare interfaces so easily in Qml, and still have the ability to quickly change everything without having to rewrite all the glue code. I’ve also coded native iOS and Android. Major pain with glue code again.

If you care about time to market, Qml is a definitely worth the investment. It is an investment because if you are still in the Widgets mindset, it will take you a while until you have a Quick mindset.

I realised that I could never maintain multiple code bases and make the product line grow, alone…. but with QtQuick I did. I’ve been using Qt Quick since 2014, 7 years now. In 7 years I’ve built 7 products:

www.imaginando.pt/products/drc <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/drc>
www.imaginando.pt/products/frms <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/frms>
www.imaginando.pt/products/k7d <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/k7d>
www.imaginando.pt/products/dlym <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/dlym>
www.imaginando.pt/products/lk <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/lk>
www.imaginando.pt/products/tkfx <https://www.imaginando.pt/products/tkfx>
www.connectionopen.com <http://www.connectionopen.com/>

Most of this products are available for all platforms, Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, with a consistent look in all platforms.

Nuno