[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Apr 21 18:38:24 CEST 2021

> On 21/04/2021 17:42, Jason H wrote:
> > Personally, I think the exsting QtQuick element should be scrapped and
> > just focus on QML versions of the existing Widget functionality. I love
> > the QML syntax, hate that it's not just a layer on top of widgets.
> > That said, I still really like both.
>
> Do you mean something like this
>
> https://github.com/KDAB/DeclarativeWidgets
>
> or actually reimplementing the widgets themselves?

There's a couple things going on here:
1. API
2. UI

Ideally the API should be widgets, the UI should be Quick.

* Making a library where QGraphicsProxyWidget seems like a right choice. (UI)
* I believe that there was some recent talk at reimplementing Qt Quick Controls with
  proper theming via https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
  also seems like a right (UI)
* The DeclarativeWidgets seems like what Qt should have done from the beginning. (API) (&UI?)
  But... is not using QtQuick rendering. (Also there should be gallery!) "Declarative Widgets
    allows you to use Qt Widgets with QML, but it does not use Qt Quick. Declarative Widgets is
    still using the Qt Widgets rendering and wrapping platform native components under the hood,
    whilst Qt Quick uses OpenGL for rendering (a software renderer is now available) and you had
    to build your UI from basic components. Qt Quick Controls provide standard controls for Qt Quick."

And then there's https://github.com/uwerat/qskinny, kinda related but not.

It's a shame that the DeclarativeWidgets requires a supplemental commercial license (or GPL).
And looking up the commercial license cost is "contact sales" which means it's too expensive.
The motivation for use is "I rather the old API" but the interest level does not rise
to the level of "contacting sales". If it were transparently prices at the price of a
developer tool ($40-60) I could splurge. Think a Qt Marketplace offering?