[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Rui Oliveira ruilvo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:47:20 CEST 2021

Well, I think this needs some historial context. Remember Nokia and how
they wanted Qt to be the /de facto/ SDK for their mobile SO? QWidgets +
phones? Not that great of a deal... Now update that story to Android or
whatever, and Widgets aren't an answer for mobile development. It makes
sense QML/Quick is what it is.

What doesn't make sense, to me at least, is how QQC*1* seemed to have
had a better feature set for the desktop than QQC*2*. I mean, one would
expect progress, not regression... But oh well.

QML/Quick, for me, seems to need a lot of work for the desktop. Also, it
seems it's make for "flat", low density UIs. Yesterday I was presented
with this: https://ossia.io/ . Look how good it looks
(https://ossia.io/assets/score.png)! Holy damn, an that's widgets. And
that's a proper desktop productivity application. I mean, if we look at
like NeoChat (https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/neo-chat/), which
is made with KDE Kirigami (a Qt Quick framework extension), or the
Telegram desktop application, they look all nice and all, but they lack
the density.

Real productivity applications, that are to be mouse operated, and have
desktop-first (and only) oriented designs have density. Look at
Solidworks, look at EagleCAD, look at QtCreator of all things! Even
vscode, which is an electron app, has the extra UI density needed for
productivity on desktop. I mean, I'm writing this in Mozilla
Thunderbird, and any "modern" client, with a "flat" UI would have half,
or even less, the information density, at the gain of what? Nice
screenshots?

And I use Windows, so I know very much first hand how low density "flat
UI" is useless for any real work.

I don't know much, if anything, about design, but I am indeed a user of
a computer, it's easy to see what makes me more productive or not.

As always, anything I do is an invitation for comments.

Rui