[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Thu Apr 22 15:57:10 CEST 2021

I wonder if it would be possible to totally declare the QtQuick scene from C++ without any Qml files actually, with Qt6 you got C++ binding and the Qml is compiled to C++ anyway. Maybe I miss something but it could be possible to actually only write C++ to create the actual scene?!

I would not actually do this myself but it might attract some user that are scare of declarative, I love Qml and the declarative binding make it super easy to glue the model to the GUI and the GUI is not seen into the C++ and my model are stay clean. I find the Qml way to split the layer of the application pretty clean if you understand what you have to do (keep the model and the business logic into C++, Qml is only for the GUI and display). The model exposes property and signal/slot, that it’s doesn’t care where it come from or what is going to modify it. That really force you to have a split between GUI layer and the business logic layer. I stop using QWidgets a few years ago and I don’t miss it a bit, haven’t seen anything I could not achieved into Qml yet, some are a bit trickier than they should but in the end prototyping and modifying the GUI is so quick, I often make the change live when I’m working with my graphic designer and KDAB GammaRay (just need to apply those change after).