[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Apr 22 18:12:29 CEST 2021

On 22/04/2021 15:57, Jérôme Godbout wrote:
> I wonder if it would be possible to totally declare the QtQuick scene
> from C++ without any Qml files actually, with Qt6 you got C++ binding
> and the Qml is compiled to C++ anyway. Maybe I miss something but it
> could be possible to actually only write C++ to create the actual scene?!

"Could" it be possible? Certainly yes, but Qt Quick never wanted to
provide a public C++ API, only a public QML one. (Why? No idea, wasn't
there in the room when it was decided; likely, having the freedom of
rearrange the C++ implementation, which clashes against the strong
API/ABI promise of Qt. Only the QML API is stable.)

AFAICR, QSkinny is an example of creating Qt Quick scenes from C++.

Of course, scene creation is just one of the aspects, you'd also then
really want to reimplement C++ the other goodies you get in QML (e.g.
bindings, Behavior, etc.), some of which are now coming in Qt 6.x.

HTH,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts