[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Mon Apr 26 08:44:06 CEST 2021

> You know that I do appreciate your work to make QML easier to use. However,
> I am still not convinced that a custom language (especially one that does
> not fit _that_ seamlessly to C++) is needed at all.

Well, that's the main point then. Any language that does the object
composition in a simpler way than connecting n+1 signals and slots is
going to require some way of telling it what types are available. If
you'd rather keep connecting signals and slots in C++, by all means do
so. I'm all in favor of having a public C++ API for QtQuick.

However, please recognize that the classic way of setting up a widget
hierarchy usually includes a lot of new and delete, as well as
initialization of properties and connecting the same properties' change
signals to the same setter functions you used for initialization. There
are a lot of ways to mess this up that simply aren't possible in QML.
Plus, the actual code that _does_ all this (in contrast to the code that
just declares types) will be much simpler and easier to read in QML.
That is the other side of this particular trade-off.

regards,
Ulf