[Interest] Locale detection of Qt application hosted via WASM

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 22:27:03 CEST 2021

Den ons 28 apr. 2021 kl 22:05 skrev Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser at tarent.de>:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>
> > Agree to put in an option to change language, but surely it should be
> > possible to have the default be based on the language the user has set
> > in the OS/browser, just like many web applications do? (not
>
> Sure, as last resort, if the user has not yet set a cookie or so,
> or connected a language with their account profile, this could
> determine the default language. You’re going to need a default
> anyway.

The language of the browser is going to be the desired one in the vast
majority of cases, so I would rather think of the unusual cases, such
as using someone elses computer or wanting a different language for
some other reason, where the user needs to actively change the
language, as the last resort.

> This is why I said make the language selection very discoverable
> (use icons, not just names; don’t place it too small in the
> bottom of the page, etc).

Agreed.

Elvis