[Interest] Dualhead Right Click Prompt for Icons. Plasma 5 and QT

Maluchi Ugokwe mugokwe42x at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 21:22:55 CEST 2021

Hi. I am a coder and student using KDE and I'd like to ping the mailing
list of an issue regarding the QT Framework and KDE Plasma 5.
This is a UX bug that I believe is rooted in some conflict in maybe some
sort of update on how QT dialogs work and/or how Plasma 5 is programmed.
Despite any speculation of mine, it has been made clear to me by Nate
Graham of KDE that this is an upstream issue and that it has to be resolved
here.

>https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-94778

The "issue" was actually of a completely different nature. What we
originally thought was the problem was that Plasma 5.22 using QT 5.15.2
would have been:
>right clicking an icon on a secondary monitor calculates the correct
position according to screen geometry
*>the prompt would be output to the wrong screen*

This *wasn't* the issue. I was made aware of the actual circumstances by
user Eric Putney (link).

Instead our "problem" didn't actually exist. KDE Plasma 5 calculates the
screen size properly to determine where it should put the right click
prompt as well as which screen, and it theoretically does.

But, the problem is that in our bug report, we were unaware that the actual
cause for the prompt offset isn't our hypothesis but rather some other
window calculation code doing something we don't want. *Assuming one
primary monitor and one secondary, right clicking an icon on the secondary
monitor will display the right click prompt moved exactly 2560px to the
direction of the primary monitor. *That is the problem accurately
described. This is independent of screen size; it will be 2560px to the
left or the right. There is no vertical manifestation of this bug.

The good part about this is that given that it is a horizontal offset with
a constant value, I can only guess that this will be an easier issue to
hammer out. I cannot make that conclusion because I am not entirely sure
*what *caused it.

Those are my guts, anyway. I'd like a fix.