[Interest] Installation Sizes for Applications using Qt

Henry Skoglund henry at tungware.se
Mon Aug 30 19:32:03 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-30 18:15, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 30 August 2021 04:04:42 PDT Joerg Bornemann wrote:
>> Use configure -list-features and pick something you definitely don't
>> need, for example
>> lcdnumber ................ Widgets: Provides LCD-like digits.
>> and configure and build Qt with -no-feature-lcdnumber
> That's probably not a good example, since the LCD number widget (the oldest
> widget in Qt, aside from QWidget itself, because Qt had no font support yet
> when this class was created) is fairly self-contained.
>
> Anyway, there are a couple of suggestions in this thread to make the
> application even smaller.
>
> But it won't be tiny. That's just not in the cards.

Hi, also the choice of compiler can influence the size of the executable.
For example, on Windows I have a LOB Qt 5.15.2 Widgets-only app that I
build statically, with a configure that has a "-skip xxxx" for all
modules expect qtbase.
When using MinGW 8.1.0 the .exe size is 19151 kB and when using MSVC2019
it becomes 11616 kB, i.e. 40% smaller.