[Interest] Dedicated GPU for Qt 5.15.3 QtQuick2

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Thu Jul 1 21:56:20 CEST 2021

Hi, why this specific example has such peaks on the specific target device is
super-hard to tell. Often, in my experience, on such embedded devices even
small changes can make huge difference in performance (e.g. the used shaders,
how memory & textures are managed between CPU and GPU). For understanding
these peaks, the best approach is to do a trace of such a situation with e.g
Perf (and best using Hotspot for looking at flamegraph plots for the traces).
If this does not help indicating the cause, lttng is the next best option,
though IMO a little bit harder to use.

On a general suggestion about which devices to use, (please take in mind that
my experience is from usually bigger setups where typically a Wayland
compositor is involved):
- prefer GPUs with MESA drivers whenever possible, because it simplifies
debugging, profiling and allows fixing of issues
- do an early PoC implementation on an eval board and check a performance
baseline
- carefully look at board erratas (like the famously much too small designed
AXIBUS memory connection on i.MX6 devices)

But most important, use a profiler, check PoC implementations on the board and
figure our your key use cases. If you only draw simple rectangles, even SW
rendering will suffice, if you want to do shader magic and render many
polygones, then you have to look at a completely different set of devices.

Best regards,
Andreas