[Interest] Qt6 (win) linker help: LNK1104 cannot open file OleAut32

David M. Cotter dave at kjams.com
Fri Jul 9 20:17:42 CEST 2021

the full error message is this:
> :-1: error: LNK1104: cannot open file 'Kits\10\Lib\10.0.19041.0\um\x64\OleAut32.Lib'

note i didn't even have that SDK version installed (19041), so why was it looking in that SDK's folder?
the latest SDK i had installed was 18362, and all my environ vars pointed to that

ie: when i went to "projects", then under "build & run" -> my kit -> build -> build environment -> details:
all the entries that referenced the SDK version said "18362", no where was '19041' mentioned

in my qmake file, i tried specifying the full path to OleAut32.lib, as being inside the '18362' dir, but that was ignored. still got same error

so i gave up and installed the 19041 SDK.  now all my environ vars point to THAT:

there are more, of course, offscreen, but they all agree.

but i STILL get the error, even though that file is now exactly where the linker expects it to be:

if i switch back to qt5 all is well. what's going on?

-dave