[Interest] Faster way of rendering QOpenGLFramebufferObject to image

Nuno Santos nuno.santos at imaginando.pt
Thu Jul 15 10:30:00 CEST 2021

Elvis,

Using your quick example (attached as a project below) I’ve run some tests and realised that window rendering it not happening at the same frame rate in all machines and the maximum differs:

- no more than 30 fps in on a 2017 iMac with Radeon graphics card
- no more than 30 fps on 2019 Intel Mac Book with Intel Graphics
- up to 144 fps on a Windows machine with an RTX 2060
- 115 fps on a 2018 12.9” iPad Pro

Changing the width and height of the scene doesn’t seem to impact the frame rate.

I was expecting to have more than 60 fps on the iMac and Macbook. I don’t think this simple scene would be limited to 30 fps

At this point, I’m not taking into consideration that time it takes to obtain the pixel data from the fbo/texture.

Since in order to have v-sync with window when painting the context of the texture rendered on the offscreen renderer I need to drive the paint via main window paint, this means that I will be limited by main window painting frame rate.

Is anyone aware of frame rate limitations of a qquickwindow painting?

Project attached.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Nuno